There is plenty of buzz in Las Vegas around the transformation taking place at Mandalay Bay. Bullz-Eye had the opportunity to learn about the many facets of this exciting undertaking from Chuck Bowling, President & COO of Mandalay Bay during our Mlife experience in April.
Yes, Mandalay Bay is currently undergoing its first major property-wide transformation since opening in 1999, from the premiere of Cirque du Soleil’s Michael Jackson ONE to the debut of the Delano Las Vegas, a new all-suite boutique hotel within the resort. The 120-acre resort is collaborating with brands such as Morgans Hotel Group, Cirque, The Light Group and Four Seasons to create a totally new experience for its guests.
Some of the highlights include:
· Delano Las Vegas – Later this year, Mandalay Bay and Morgans Hotel Group will begin the transformation of THEhotel at Mandalay Bay into Delano Las Vegas, a new all-suite hotel scheduled to open in early 2014 that will embody the soul of Delano South Beach with Vegas flair.
· Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas – Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas, located on floors 35-39 of Mandalay Bay, began the year with a complete renovation of all 424 guest rooms and suites inspired in part by the vibrant Art Deco period. This spring, Four Seasons also introduced Press, a new indoor/outdoor lobby bar that creates an energetic social hub that evolves from espressos in the morning to draft beers and wine at night.
· Michael Jackson ONE by Cirque du Soleil – June 29, the resort will debut Michael Jackson ONE, a permanent Cirque du Soleil production that will bring to life the King of Pop’s music while celebrating his worldwide legacy.
· LIGHT Nightclub – Memorial Day Weekend, Mandalay Bay will unveil LIGHT Nightclub by The Light Group, a venue that combines the imagination and artistry of Cirque du Soleil with a roster of top DJs in the world. Designed to bring a unique, memorable experience each evening, LIGHT will tantalize senses with state-of-the-art production and theatrics.
· DAYLIGHT Beach Club – Also opening Memorial Day Weekend and just in time for the 2013 summer season, The Light Group’s DAYLIGHT Beach Club will be a departure from traditional Vegas pool parties, transporting guests from the hustle and bustle of The Strip to a 50,000-square-foot upscale and chic tropical oasis.
· KUMI Japanese Restaurant & Bar – Opening summer 2013, The Light Group will team with Chef Toshiyuki Motoyama to offer fun and approachable Japanese cuisine for an American palate, using fresh and innovative ingredients. As Executive Sushi Chef, Motoyama will combine his traditional edomae background with influences of Thai, Peruvian, Latin and other Asian cultures to always keep Kumi’s dishes interesting and exciting.
· Citizens Kitchen & Bar – Citizens Kitchen & Bar opened in February and features The Light Group’s Executive Chef Brian Massie’s creative and contemporary take on American comfort food. The menu features a wide range of signature favorites for breakfast, lunch and dinner with highlights including Maryland Blue Crab Cakes, Southern Fried Chicken and Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf.
· Red Square – The Light Group recently relaunched the popular restaurant as a revitalized dinner, cocktail and nightlife destination. The exquisite menu – featuring easy-to-share plates including Tuna Tartare, Chicken Kiev with Bacon Brussels Sprouts and an impressive caviar selection – takes on contemporary American favorites and infuses them with unique Russian influences.
We were already huge fans of Mandalay Bay, and it appears that when this incredible transformation is complete, the “new” Mandalay Bay will be unique to any other offering in Vegas. Can’t wait to check it out!!