Writer-director Christopher first became well-known for his reboot of the DC Comics superhero Batman. His gritty and more realistic version of Batman debuted with “Batman Begins,” and it became a trilogy of epic proportions in comparison to Batman films of the past.
Nolan followed up the trilogy with a reboot of Superman in “Man of Steel” in 2013. This combination of superheroes coming out back to back left comic book fans chomping at the bit for a Christopher Nolan “Batman vs. Superman” film. Though there is a film scheduled to begin production, it is neither written nor directed by Nolan.
What many fans of the DC-Nolan films don’t know about are the other films he released both before the trilogy, and in the middle of the films.
Top 3 Non-DC Christopher Nolan Films of the Past
1. “Memento” (2000) — This film is a brilliantly written story that moves both backward and forward through time. The audience follows main character Leonard, who suffered from severe short-term memory loss, as he seeks revenge for the murder of his wife. He has to leave notes for himself every night so that in the morning he can remember what he learned the previous day. The story is gripping and keeps the audience guessing until the shocking end. “Memento” is the first major film production of Nolan’s, starring actors like Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Joe Pantoliano, and it was met with rave reviews.
2. “The Prestige” (2006) — Like other Nolan films, this one is brilliantly written and directed. The story follows two rival magicians in late 19th century London as they compete to find out the secrets of the other and one-up each other. It focuses the premise of the story on the three stages of magic: the pledge, the turn, and the prestige. Like Momento, this film has a number of brilliant plot twists. “The Prestige” stars Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlet Johansson, and Michael Caine.
3. “Inception” (2010) — This was the first non-DC film for Nolan that really hit it big. The story follows a group of thieves, led by Dom Cobb, who steal corporate secrets and manipulate people through dreams. The team is presented with their most challenging target ever in this thrilling, action-packed film. The release of the new Batman movies made Nolan known to the public, but the success of Inception solidified his place as one of the best writer-directors of our time. “Inception” stars big name actors like Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ellen Page.
What’s Next from Christopher Nolan?
Much to fans dismay, Nolan will not be involved in the Batman vs. Superman film, nor will he be part of the Justice League films that are rumored for the future. Currently, there is only one Nolan film in the works, and another rumored.
1. “Interstellar” (2014) — Due to be released on November 7, this film follows a group of explorers who embark upon an interstellar journey to another star system. Most of the details are not yet released, probably to keep up the suspense of the film, but there are great trailers for “Interstellar” online. Like the other films, this was written and directed by Nolan, and stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, and Michael Caine. It’s sure to be a great kick-off film off the holiday season.
2. “Bond 24” (2016) — After the release of “Interstellar,” Nolan has nothing official on his plate. There are a number of rumors going around various film sites that Nolan was approached to write and/or direct the new Bond film, which the producers were hoping to release 4 years after the release of “Skyfall.” Though there is nothing official linking Nolan to Bond 24, it would be a big boost to sales for the film, and perhaps for the Bond series itself.
Christopher Nolan has quickly turned himself into one of the greatest writers/directors of this generation. If you haven’t watched beyond his DC films, you don’t know what you are missing.