Sons of Anarchy 4.14 – To Be, Act 2

In last week’s recap, I proposed that the only reason Romeo could have for telling Jax that Otto didn’t sell out the club was that he knew something SAMCRO didn’t, and as it just so happens, that something turned out to be pretty big. Shortly after Lincoln and his men set up surveillance on the Sons, Romeo and Luis roll into camp to announce that they’ve been working with the CIA and are shutting down the RICO investigation. I had a feeling this might be the case back when Lincoln was discussing Luis’ history with the Mexican military, but I had completely forgotten about it since then, mainly because it seemed a bit far-fetched at the time. And it still does, to be honest, even if this wouldn’t be the first time that the government has sided with the bad guys for the greater good. They’re essentially bankrolling the Galindo cartel so that they come out on top, because “whoever controls the drugs controls the politics,” and in order for that to happen, they need SAMCRO’s deal with the IRA to go through unimpeded.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy in the world of “Sons of Anarchy,” and although the Irish Kings seem open to working with the cartel, they’re only willing to do it with Clay as the intermediary. That puts Jax in a bit of a bind, who openly admits to Romeo that the club is already way over its head on this whole cartel business. Though he didn’t want to have to bring Jax into the loop on their CIA connections, Romeo’s hand was forced by the prospect of losing the IRA gun deal, so he explains to Jax that if the deal goes bust, the RICO case will be reopened and the club will be destroyed. All in all, it was a pretty clever way of keeping Clay alive and ensuring Jax remains in Charming. I also found it interesting that Romeo never intended to hurt Tara, but was instead going to put her into protective custody. That at least explains why the kidnappers didn’t just shoot the both of them when Jax came to her rescue in the park.

I don’t think we’ve ever seen Jax more pissed off than when he went to go visit Clay at the hospital (except perhaps at the end of last week’s episode), because despite every bone in his body telling him to kill the traitorous bastard, he had to keep him alive for the sake of the club. It’s hard to imagine a show where Clay can co-exist alongside Jax, Opie, Tara and Gemma now that they all know the truth, but Jax really has no other choice. Though he’s stripping him of the President patch, Jax is allowing Clay to keep a seat at the table and his vote for the sake of appearances, but what will the Irish think when they realize he’s no longer in control of the club? And while Clay may wish that he was dead now, that’s not going to stop him from putting up a fight when he recovers.

Whatever happens, you have to commend Kurt Sutter for crafting a finale that offered a satisfying sense of resolution while also laying the groundwork for the next season. Tara’s decision to stay in Charming is undoubtedly going to create some tension between her and Gemma as she takes over the role of queen bee, and she’s already been entrusted with a pretty big secret. Though Romeo warned Jax not to say anything about the CIA’s involvement, he pretty much had to tell Tara in order to explain why he wasn’t leaving as promised. Whether or not that decision blows up in his face remains to be seen, but you can be sure that she wouldn’t have stuck around for very long if he didn’t tell her the truth. That was a really great scene between the two of them, and it was a little saddening to watch Jax leave her to go take his spot at the head of the table when he clearly doesn’t want to be there, even if we knew all along that it had to happen in order for the show to continue.

For the most part, everyone seemed to embrace the sight of Jax claiming his rightful throne, although Tig didn’t look too happy about being replaced by Chibs as the new Sergeant of Arms. Of course, that’s going to be the least of his worries if Roosevelt’s reaction to Laroy’s girlfriend being killed in the hit-and-run is as serious as he made it sound. Apparently, she’s the daughter of the most dangerous gangster in Oakland, which means that SAMCRO might be headed for another war. Opie is exactly the kind of guy that Jax is going to need at his side if things get bloody, and though he’s yet to accept his invitation to become VP after learning that Clay will be spared for reasons Jax can’t say, he hasn’t turned him down either. And I really hope he doesn’t, because the prospect of seeing those two guys run the club is simply too good to pass up.

A few other thoughts from the episode:

* Though I’m still holding out hope that Michael Chiklis will been given an actual role on the show at some point (after all, several other “The Shield” alum have already made an appearance), the cheeky TV cameo was a nice touch.

* I’m going to really miss the enigmatic and oddball Lincoln Potter, but at least he went out in style by taking down Mayor Hale in front of city council, exposing his Asian investors as a bunch of sex toy sickos and pretty much guaranteeing that the Charming Heights project would be shut down. Even his explanation to Hale about why he did it was great: “Because I don’t like you. And the good guys need a win.”

* The only thing better than that line of dialogue was the reason Roosevelt gave to Juice for helping him clear his name: “You’re a criminal. You do bad things. I’m a cop. I stop you. I just want to get back to that.” I can’t wait to see what part he plays in the imminent war between SAMCRO and the Niners, because while he’s clearly not crooked like Unser, I think that he still sees some value in what the club does for Charming.

You can follow us on Twitter and Facebook for content updates. Also, sign up for our email list for weekly updates and check us out on Google+ as well.

Related Posts

8 responses to “Sons of Anarchy 4.14 – To Be, Act 2”

• SThompson says:

I’m still not sure if it was a good season finale or not. There was a big buildup last week, and then everything almost kinda fell flat at the start. I watched it and had the feeling they spent more time setting up next season rather than wrapping up this season.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good episode, I just don’t know how good it was as the way to end the season.

• Anonymous says:

I totally agree. It’s a great set-up for another 2 to 3 seasons even. With the beef with leroy and the biggest gangster in Oakland (now that we know that was his daughter in the hit n run). The fact that tara, unser, clay, and gemma know the real truth about jax pops. the beef with gemma and tara. The fact I still believe opie wants to killed clay regardless of the club going down. the fact that once clay gets better you think he’s just gunna sit on the sideline while jax calls the plays and of course the cartel and real ira. And of course the sheriff. I also believe we have not seen the last of potter. A thousand and 1 plot directions. Now with that being said this last episode was so for a lack of a better term anti-climatic. Like a game of chess it moved the first few pieces to get a checkmate 25 moves or in this case episodes later. and that would not be so bad (for 1 I like chess as well as this show) if we did not have to now wait a whole other year to pick up the pieces. Hell I may not have cable come this time next year the way this economy is (just playing..or am I?). Again just another rant but I just feel both thing could have been accomplished (set-up for next season as well as closure of this season. Maybe I am asking for to much just saying cause I truly love the show. Lastly I personally feel the whole jax and tara and john and gemma picture thing you could see coming and was unnecessary but what do I know about writing or producing a TV series (NOTHING).

• Kash says:

From what I have seen while watching the show is that maybe Potter is Jax dad come back to make things right. Maybe he really wasn’t killed. I looked at the picture of Gemma & John & there are some similarities. Also I took into account that when the 2 Cartel guys walked up with the CIA Potter turned his back & the one Cartel guy looked at him as if he knew him & Potter walked off. I also took into account that the only people to see Potter was Juice & the Sheriff. He made sure none of the MC member saw him. He also rode into town on a motorcycle. Was it the mysterious panhead that Jax father was supposed to have died on? The bike was black & a little vintage looking & it was the last time that he was seen riding a bike or that the bike itself was seen. If I recall Jax & Potter actually spoke in one of the first episodes in Season 4. Just my 2 cents but a lot to think about!

• chris says:

Man i can’t believe how good this show is. Nothing ever happens the way you think it’s going to happen and on the rare occasion that it does you have to question yourself if it actually happened that way.

Yes, the episode mostly was used as a set up for the next season or 2 but whatever. I can’t get enough of this show and i’ll wait as long as i need to to see what happens next. The anticipation of next season and how many different plots there can be will be well worth the wait once again.

As for tonight you knew that something would happen to make Jax stay but of course i had no idea it would be that. I loved how Juice was watching the Shield in the jail cell and hopefully like you said that is a sign that Chiklis “Vic” is coming next season since “Lem” and “Ronnie” have already been on the show. The scene with Jax and Tara was as deep as it gets and i admit i got a little emotional myself. Potter’s character will be missed but i can’t wait to see who Sutter brings in next season whether it is Chiklis or not. We already know a big time gangster will be cast into the show as the father of Leroy’s girl who was killed by Tig. Anyone have any ideas who that might be?

Like i said i will wait as long as i have to with anticipation for next season. Kurt Sutter you are the freaking man.

• chris says:

I will say though that even though i didn’t see the CIA thing coming i probably should have. It made a lot of sense but i just wasn’t thinking along those lines.

• Chas says:

Juice arrived at the table after his imprisonment, but what will be the future of Bobby?

• Jacob says:

Also, I forget his real name, but detective Wagenbach from the Shield was in the first few episodes too, from season 1. I don’t see them bringing in Chiklis though, not after he was on tv in the show…

• Jillian says:

Kash, Gemma had an entire conversation with Potter when she bumped into him outside the flower shop